Baldwin Louie, DDS & Patricia Louie, DDS
Family Dentists & Cosmetic Dentists located in Inner Richmond District, San Francisco, CA
Dr. Baldwin Louie and Dr. Patricia Louie offer exams and cleaning services at their welcoming and comfortable practice in the Richmond District of San Francisco, CA. Patients receive high quality care and attention at every visit.
Dental Cleanings & Exams Q&A
Why Are Professional Dental Cleanings Important?
While daily brushing and flossing are essential to dental health and hygiene, regular professional cleanings and exams are also important to maintain healthy teeth and gums. Some stains and buildup need professional attention such as build up from coffee, tea and tobacco. Regular exams give the dentist an opportunity check for any dental problems in early stages. Issues like cavities, broken fillings and gum disease are easily treatable if caught early. Gum disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss in adults, so regular cleaning and checkups will help to preserve a patient’s natural teeth.
How Often Should I Have My Teeth Examined?
The recommended frequency of dental visits is twice annually. However, patients with any history of periodontal (gum) disease should visit the dentist for cleanings and check ups more often to prevent the recurrence of infections or disease. People with diabetes or heart disease should have more regular check ups and those conditions have strong links to dental problems. Furthermore, any patients who use tobacco products will need to make more regular visits as tobacco can not only cause significant staining, but is a key risk factor for the development of oral cancer.
What Happens During a Dental Exam?
During a standard dental visit, the dentist will perform the following checks and treatments.
- Examination of x-rays (radiographs): X-rays help determine tooth and root positions and are essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss.
- Oral cancer screening: The dentist will check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: The dentist will examine the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: The dentist will check current fillings, crowns, etc to see if any repairs are necessary.
The cleaning will involve the following steps.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Please contact our office for more information regarding insurance providers.
Words from our patients
"I rarely write reviews. But EVERY time after leaving a visit with Dr. Baldwin Louie, I always feel like I need to let everyone know how AWESOME of a dentist he is."
"I'm definitely a fan of this practice! As a kid I went to Dr. Baldwin Louie and now as an adult, I take my family here. "
"Dr. Louie is the most caring, personable, and skilled dentist I have ever gone to."
"Dr. Baldwin was easy-going, to the point, and I forgot that i was in a dental office. His staff is uber nice too!"